Hello,

Shane Huang wrote:
>>> Do you guys think it's normal? It not, how to make SATA hotplug work
> on
>>> different SATA port? Should it be supported by BIOS or hardware?
>> If you connect it to a different port, the original device will die
> and
>> new device will appear.  That's the expected behavior.  In the log, I
>> only see ata3.00 is dying.  Isn't there any log from different port?
>
> There is no other log from the different port such as the enablement of
> ata2,
> it's strange. I forgot to say that this case appear when the "OnChip
> SATA Type"
> is "Native IDE"(SATA device ID is 4390) in BIOS.
>
> But when I set "OnChip SATA type" into "AHCI" mode(SATA device ID 4391),
> the hotplug can work, and the device name will be changed from "scd0" to
> "scd1"
> during the hotplug. The log messages are attached at the end of this
> mail.

That's strange.  I guess we're forgetting something when forcing the
controller into AHCI mode.  What happens if you manually issue re-scan
by doing "echo - - - > /sys/class/scsi_host/hostN/scan" where hostN is
the SCSI host for the ATA port you moved the drive?

Also, after driver is loaded, can you please post the results of "lspci
-nnvvvxxx" with BIOS mode set to IDE and AHCI?

Thanks.

--
tejun