James Bottomley wrote:
>>> The patches do extend the sg table.
>> Hmm... Where?
>
> It's the block component; it's already in git head with this patch:
>
> commit fa0ccd837e3dddb44c7db2f128a8bb7e4eabc21a
> Author: James Bottomley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date:   Thu Jan 10 11:30:36 2008 -0600
>
>     block: implement drain buffers
>
> The description is pretty reasonable.  The way it works is by making
> block add the drain buffer to the sg table as the last element.
>
> The way it works is if you simply use the length block gives you, you
> find yourself doing DMA to every element in the sg table except the last
> one.  If you expand the length to anything up to blk_rq_drain_size() you
> then use the last element for the drain.

Oops, I was talking about padding.  Sorry about that.

>> Adjusting qc->nbytes isn't enough.  libata will have to trim at the end
>> of sglist.  With both draining and padding, it means libata will have to
>> trim one sg entry and a few more bytes.  Block layer is behaving
>> differently and in a very noticeable way, it's sending inconsistent
>> values in data_len and sg list.
>
> No, that's the point.  With all the space available, you don't need to
> trim at all ... you simply don't use it.  The rationale is the way the
> sg element stuff works.  If you program a DMA table (PRD table in IDE
> speak) into a controller, it doesn't care if you don't use the last few
> pieces.  With the default length set, the DMA controller won't use the
> last programmed element, but it's their if you expand the length or tell
> it to for an overrun.

Not all controllers have a place to set 'default length'.  They just run
till sg list terminates.

>> Okay, I see your point.  The biggest problem is that by doing that blk
>> layer breaks a pretty important rule - keeping data len consistent with
>> sg list and the bugs it's gonna cause will be very subtle and dangerous.
>>  This is definitely where we can spend four extra bytes.
>
> The lengths don't have to be consistent (otherwise we wouldn't need to
> calculate them separately) the request reported length just has to be
> less than the sg table actual length.  We even make use of this property
> in SCSI when we can't fit a request into a single command ... we are
> allowed to chunk up the request as we complete it.  I'm not saying it's
> best practice, but it is acceptable behaviour.

libata definitely isn't ready for that and I don't think expanding the
behavior to whole block layer is a wise thing to do when the best
practice can be bought at the cost of 4 bytes per request.  No?

--
tejun