On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 12:51:46 +0200
Nadav Har'El <n...@math.technion.ac.il> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 12, 2012, Elazar Leibovich wrote about "Re: Is forbidding
> concurrent ssh sessions a good idea?":
> > While I can certainly see what's broken with it for using a regular
> > computer, whose stability I do not value much, and while there are
> > difficulties this may cause, do you see anything specific that will break
> > in the use case of a production server?
>
> Let me offer another completely different idea, without any kills and
> similar tricks: End your ~/.profile with "screen -R -D"
>
> What will this do?
>
> The login shell will start screen(1), and let the admin work in it.
> If another admin logs in, he doesn't just kill the existing session - he
> also takes over the existing instance of "screen", and can see what the
> other admin was in the middle of doing.
>
> This "screen" will also allow the admin to have multiple screens - which
> you prevent him from doing with several separate sshs, so he'll
> appreciate "screen" anyway.
>
> If you don't know screen(1), I suggest you learn it - it is an
> absolutely wonderful tool.

There's now a (better, in my opinion) and also open-source (BSD-licensed)
alternative to screen called tmux. See my earlier post about it to the
linux-elitists mailing list (and the replies):

http://zgp.org/pipermail/linux-elitists/2011-February/013288.html

tmux is one of the first things I install on any new Linux system deployment
(as well as htop and other stuff). I have barely scratched the surface of tmux
(or GNU screen for that matter) but I find that from what I know it works much
nicer.

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish