HP work on Linux using proprietary drivers. It's a mixed bag.

I've been using Canon for some years now. It works well with Linux and somewhat okay with Android. I have not tried buying non-original ink.

If you're willing to spend a little more on the printer itself, there are printers where the ink comes in liquid form rather than cartridges. If you're doing a lot of printing, they are considerably cheaper to operate.