The reason I was stuck with the uninstallable package was that the
failure of the attempt to uninstall it seemed to block aptitude from
uninstalling/upgrading other packages.

I do not remember the exact error message. I think it was something
about trying to do echo <(echo) and getting a complaint that the
pipeline is broken.

Eventually, I uninstalled using dpkg --remove, figuring that any unmet
dependencies will be fixed later by aptitude.

With this done, I was successful in sorting out things. The only
remaining problem is that packages 'dkms', 'evdi-dkms', 'libevdi0' are
not properly installed. This is due to missing header file 'drm.h',
which is referred to by /var/lib/dkms/evdi/1.13.1/build/evdi_drm.h.

There are also some non-fatal annoyances:

1. The Google talkplugin source
(http://dl.google.com/linux/talkplugin/deb/) has now an invalid
signature, and aptitude shouts about this each time I update sources.
This file claims to be automatically modified, so I didn't try to edit
it.
The same source is perfectly OK in a Debian 11 (Bullseye) installation.

2. The terminal font is different from the one to which I am used, even
though both claim to be monospace ("Monospace 12" in Debian 11 / GNOME
Terminal 3.38.3; "Monospace Regular 12" in Debian 12 / GNOME Terminal
3.46.8 for GNOME 43).
I was not successful in identifying the actual font being used by the
terminal program in both installations.

--- Omer Zak