Vadim Smelyansky wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Apr 1999, Oded Arbel wrote:
>
> OA>what is 'Segmentation Fault' ?
>         prog have no rigths to access memory segment

Not always. Segmentation Fault is caused by any Segmentation problem, not
just permissions problem.

For example, assume that a given Address A is not mapped. Is it true to say that

a program is not "allowed" to touch... but to touch what? Since that address
isn't even mapped, you can't say anything about it's attribute - neither the
privilage level ( Ring in x86, x>2 ) , or Page mode , or Page type - neither
of them exist.