"Stanislav Malyshev a.k.a Frodo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> VV>> That doesn't make it good.  Hey, I don't have a car, should I go
> VV>> out and steal one?  Or, more to the point: in Israel, many people
>
> This "steal" again. OK, I'm stopping to explain this until everybody goes
> out, reads a dictionary and gets a clue what this word means.

If you don't have a dictionary handy, I can email you all the 791
lines of OED definition of the verb steal (only the first meaning that
we are interested in). It specifically mentions in several places that
you can steal something immaterial. You'll like these excerpts:

   d. In wider sense: To take or appropriate dishonestly (anything
belonging to another, whether material or immaterial).

[I suppose this applies - OG]

   4. In various applications with immaterial obj.
   a. To cause the loss of, take away (something valued, e.g.
happiness, a person's life, etc.).

[How about someone's honest wages? - OG]

   5. a. To effect or accomplish clandestinely or unperceived;
to get opportunity for (an action) by contrivance.

[The "contrivance" part is relevant to your remark about people who
make/use illegal copies are simply being smart, I suppose. I don't
remember if it was posted to the list or sent to me in a private
mail. I owe you a reply, btw - have been pressed for time lately,
sorry. - OG]

It looks like trying to argue on semantical grounds that not paying
for services rendered doesn't seem very well founded...

--
Oleg Goldshmidt          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
BLOOMBERG L.P. (BFM)     [EMAIL PROTECTED]