Omer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Fri, 10 Sep 1999, the rookie wrote:
>
> :hi, can someone recommend a book to start using linux?
> :(and that's mean: programming in linux, communication
> :stuff, and the shell commands)
> :
>
> Programming:
>       C programming language second edition is a good book to start
> programming using C . This book is so wonderful, it deserved a name of
> "New Testament". Then there goes M. Bach's "Architecture of UNIX OS" and
> "The Magic Garden explained" - both of them explain architecture of Unix -
> SVR3 and 4BSD.

None of the books above explains 4.xBSD. The "Magic Garden" book deals
with pure SVR4. For BSD, check out "The design and implementation of
4.4BSD Operating System."

As for UNIX programming, I'd not recommend starting with the books on
UNIX above (of course, K&R is a must), but to go for Stevens's (RIP)
books:

- "Advanced Programming in UNIX Environment" (aka APUE)
- "Unix Network Programming" vv1,2 (aka UNPv1, UNPv2)

> To start program Guile, start with Daniel Friedman's Little SCHEMEr (or
> Little LISPER), read Structure and Interpretationn of computer programs (I
> do not like this book, but everyone else does) and wind up with "Essential
> of Programming Languages" (my favorite, but many find it too deep).
>
> I would reccomend learning Scheme and Perl together as two different
> subsets of LISP. There are many good introductions to Perl, but one of the

<Cough, choke> Since when is Perl a "subset of LISP?!" McCarthy would
sure laugh his guts off if he heard that...

--
Alexander L. Belikoff
Bloomberg L.P.