Hi List,

While most of us, as a rule of thumb live by the rule "if it works don't
fix it" - I can't seem to ignore this:

I've read some time ago on the list that shadow passwords don't work
over NIS. Even read it on the documentation.
I wanted to set up an NIS domain on my site with two Red Hat 6.0 server
- one being the master and one acting as a client.
I configured yp.conf and ypserv.conf where needed, ran the makefile
(created empty files where it failed to run because of missing ones;
e.g.:netgroups, which I currently don't use), but it didn't work because
the master server was using shadow passwords, so I went to /var/yp and
ran make shadow (or shadow.byname -- don't recall exacly) and copied the
file it created to /var/yp/(mydomain) AND IT WORKED.

What did I do right? Is it not a NIS domain?
Did I unknowingly create an NYS or an NIS+ domain?
Is the nag too outdated?

Isaac