Schlomo Schapiro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> If your computer is left running 49.7 days without restarting, your
> Windows 98-based computer may stop responding (hang). This is caused
> by a problem with the timing algorithm in the Vtdapi.vxd file.
>
> Isn't THAT funny ?

You can't imagine how funny it was for me and a colleague: we had had
a laugh when we had suggested to each other (I don't remember who got
the idea first) very long ago that there just had to be a time counter
in Windows that had to overflow and crash the system, just no one had
managed to run Windows long enough to notice it. This was on a purely
speculative and tongue-in-cheek basis. Just imagine how good a laugh
we had some 18 months later when this story appeared...

An interesting spin on the whole problem was put in a posting in
another mailing list (or was it a newsgroup), where a guy bragged
about his Linux box's uptime, and a poor Windows user complained that
he has not ever managed to run his machine for long enough to have a
legitimate need to reboot - it kept crashing earlier...

--
Oleg Goldshmidt | BLOOMBERG L.P. (BFM) | [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"A sense of the fundamental decencies is parceled out