Boaz Rymland wrote:
> I have a WD 9.GB disk with a Promise PCI controller (the HD brand is
> irrelevant, I believe as its the controller and it's driver that
> matters).

Ah.. I wish that was true. ATA/66  (as most new standards) still has
some compatibility problems. Some controllers will only work with
certain drives. My onboard HPT366 controller (ABIT's BP6 board) wouldn't
work with a Fujitsu drive I had. I got a Maxtor and everything is
working fine (well.. almost. Linux SMP implementation is still not
100%).

Anyway, the point is you have to patch the kernel to support  ATA/66
controllers (and I'm sure not all are supported.. better check it out
yourself). This makes installation much more difficult of course.

As for speed... hdparm -t /dev/hde gives me about 22MB/sec with UDMA66
enabled (this is a cheap 5400 rpm drive). When disabled, speed drops to
about 10MB/sec. Note that I have seen UDMA33 drives that go as high as
15MB/sec. Go figure...

How much of that advantage will you see in real applications? I guess it
depends on your usage pattern.

-- Nimrod.

p.s. The current drive is 8GB. Logical geometry: 1024/255/63.