On Sun, 9 Jan 2000, Schlomo Schapiro wrote:

> I just wanted to blow off some thoughts and feelings on the meeting:

> 2. The ipchains lecture by Ira was also very interesting, but demands a
> more in-depth workshop of Linux security and firewalling (I imagine
> something like setting up a firewall step-by step and showing at each step
> what it blocks and how to still break in).

I was meaning to do a more in-depth lecture, starting with the basic
concepts of the IP stack and corelating it to the OSI 7-layer model, a
short TCP schematic, and about the need for the filters. I still intend
to give a much more serious talk about it. this friday it simply wasn't
planned and prepared (I was caught off-guard with some of the
questions), I was only trying to give the audience a taste of what's
coming, and did a highly technical, stacato short lecture seeing who the
audience was. I promiss a "calmer" more detailed lecture next time when
I prepare it right :-)

> 3. The location was very nice, the lecture class perfect (After finding
> it, that is). The only real problem with the IDC is that it is not too
> well connected to public transportation so that only people with cars (or
> a ride in one) can come (and go when they want).

there are 2-3 lines connecting the closest main road to the Herzlia
central station, I admit it leaves a lot to be desired, that's why I
offered to pick people up from the Raanana- kfar saba junction (where
there are dozens of lines to all over the country)

> 4. The time was totally unsuitable for such a meeting at such a location
> at this time of the year: I might have been the only 'dati' person
> attending (and can imagine the other dati members not coming because of

I agree. we did have a vote on days and friday won, and then in the vote
on hours, the morning won. however 11am was the earliest I could get a
room. for next month I have a lecture room for te whole day, so we may
start gathering as easly as 9am for all I care (I'll peel myself out of
bed for the event!)

for March I'll try to book a room ASAP, so it could again be as early in
the morning as possible.

another option is to look at Saturday night... but I don't think it
would be too popular.

> (11 am) and/or the place are not good. If the meeting woul have been in a
> highly connected place (like for example the TA central busstaion) than I
> could have left whenever I felt that I should go home, but like this of
> course I had no choice.

you didn't have a ride to Jerusalem?!

I was aware of the fact, and asked people during my bit about IPchains
several times if it was getting late, and tried to keep it short anyway,
please don't be shy to ask to break out of the party next time :-)

> BTW, I suggested to make a Linux picnic (some month ago) with the idea in
> mind that at such an event also people who usually can't come because of
> family limitations could come since we would have a by-program for the
> accompanying family. Perhaps we should re-activate this idea, then it died
> out because of lack of interest.

I fully agree that such events would be fun, but we can only hav them on
some khol hamo'ed, because Shabat is off and during the week people work
or study.

> let's all work together to make ILUG (or IGLU) more alive.

IGLU, let's make it official. Alex: please put it on the webpage.

--
Ira Abramov ;  whois:IA58  ;  www.scso.com ;  all around Linux enthusiast
"Are [Linux users] lemmings collectively jumping off of the cliff of