> i have an old 133MHZ pentium with 32Mb of ram.
> my linux (red-hat 6.0 kernel 2.2.5-15) detects only 13-14MB.
> i solved this problem with linux mem=32M at lilo prompt.
> it's seems to work fine but when i try to run the command startx
> it gives me an error message: segmentation fault and halt's.
> is there any other way to solve this.

It sounds as if you have memory hole enabled (usually done for isa vga
cards). If you don't need the hole, disable it in the bios.

If you do have an isa vga card you have a few options:
1. disable the memory hole, so the card can't be used in linear mode, so
   XF86 will only run at 8bpp. svgalib (and maybe commercial X servers)
   can still use high color modes.
2. Enable the memory hole and use only 14MB of ram.
3. Enable the hole, and either upgrade to 2.3, or look for a e820 patch
   for 2.2 kernel.

--
Matan Ziv-Av.                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]