Shaul Karl wrote:

> mgetty?
>
> > Hi,
> >   Is there any full-featured and *customizable* voice mail + caller ID
> > system for linux, supporting class 1 modems? (I've tried vgetty, but it
> > doesn't work with my modem).
> >   I'm trying to make some complex scripting with my caller ID modem on my
> > linux box...

Well, mgetty and vgetty only work with Class 2 modems. This is by
design.

Class 1 modems try to implement all the low-level protocols in software.
This is basically a real-time operation. A multitasking OS such as Linux
is by definition not real time (without special extensions), so a Class
1 implementation will raise the CPU load to pretty high levels. This is
basically the same concept as Winmodems vs. real ones.
Try to get a Class 2 modem -- they're not that expensive, although they
may be hard to get by these days. Vgetty works like a charm with these
modems. I find it hard to believe you'll find software that works with
Class 1 modems on Unix/Linux.

BTW -- if it's an option for you, get an ISDN line and card. ISDN cards
can do voice, and have crystal-clear quality. Linux supports voice with
ISDN cards, but you'll have to check which cards are supported.

Gavrie.

--
Gavrie Philipson
Netmor Applied Modeling Research Ltd.