About ADSL :
 1) I didn't try another I.P (other then the one supplied by them).
 2) They don't care about the O.S.(they were happy for me trying) because
..
 3) You need only 10BaseT.
 4) It is very fast, especially with FTP (1 Hour for full ISO image,
      and the server was the slow link).
 But :
  You need to start with some CGI page and enter user+password to be
 routed out to the internet. It cause two problems (also in Window$) :
  1)  Application like mail (Communicator) are configured to on-line
connection
       but at the beginning they actually disconnected from their server.
The
       result in the case of the Communicator is a 1 minute freeze (unless
you
       didn't configure any mailbox).
  2)   I didn't try being logged for more than few hours (they asked to
logoff),
        but I had a case of disconnecting. In that case, one need an
interference
        to reconnect.
  3)   (Worse) - I didn't report them yet, but I had few cases of Ethernet
       disconnection : the modem (their server ?) did not answered the ping
       command. The solution was : turn the modem off and on again ....