You wrote:
>I have installed GPG on 2 different machines. The different user
>accounts on these machines are identical.

Do you mean uses have accounts to both of these machines?

>Very likely, I plan to have 2 sets of keys for each user account, one
>for each machine. Are there any good practices regarding the number
>of keys a user may have?

A user can have several keys if he wishes too, or just one and it is
up to him. What is more important to imply, is where those keys are
stored, should they have an expiry date (imho, every key should have
one) and how will bad keys be revoked. If you are really paranoid (a
recommended attitude) you should look into the usage of PKI (public
key infrastructure), All according to your users needs.
If you have a large number of users, managing their keys can be more
than just a pain in the neck, so PKI is probably the only way to go.

>Once the keys are generated, where do I keep the public key?

What's wrong with a key server?

>Is there a public server for the GPG public keys?

GPG keys are compatible with the OpenPGP standard. If you ever decide
to RTFM the GPG manual, you will see:

..

--send-keys [names]
                 Same as --export but sends the keys  to  a  key­
                 server.  Option --keyserver must be used to give
                 the name of this keyserver. Don't send your com­
                 plete keyring to a keyserver - select only those
                 keys which are new or changed by you.

..

--recv-keys key IDs
                 Import the keys with the given key  IDs  from  a
                 HKP  keyserver.  Option --keyserver must be used
                 to give the name of this keyserver.

Hope this helps.
Yosi