Gavrie Philipson wrote:

> Schlomo Schapiro wrote:
> >
> > Hi list,
> >
> > I would like to hear comments about commercial Linux Backup Solutions (for
> > a mixed Linux/Windows network).
>
> Today, I found a very nice backup solution that works with Linux. It's
> called TapeWare (www.tapeware.com). It supports Linux and Microsoft both
> as servers and clients. You can back up Windows/Linux workstations
> remotely. It supports autoloaders, etc. In short: it looks like a
> serious package. They have a 30-day evaluation version for download.
[snip]

Well guys and gals,

Forget about TapeWare. The product NovaNet 8 that Schlomo Shapiro
mentioned is the same as TapeWare -- it's an OEM version of it!
I found it out by installing both demo versions, and noting they're
exactly the same! The only funny this is that NovaNet is *more
expensive* (though not significantly) than TapeWare.

Anyway, the package is very nice, but it hangs all the time. It uses
SysV IPC, and the semaphores hang all the time: Only ipcrm can fix the
problem.

Stay away from both packages (yes, the bugs are also the same ;-)
IMO, a backup solution must be reliable above all, and hanging in the
middle of backup doesn't seem reliable to me. This package might be
great in its original (Novell, Windows) versions, but the Linux version
is obviously not grown up yet.

And in case you're wondering -- this problem is mentioned in the
bulletin boards on their website, and there's no fix for it yet.

Caveat emptor!

Gavrie.

--
Gavrie Philipson