> Shlomo,
> If the noises you here are "click-click-click" ones, it's possible that
> there's mismatch between the actual disk geometry and the way Linux sees it.
> Make sure you configured the disk properly in the BIOS and that the values
> fdisk reports are correct ones for your disk. Also, the exact messages you
> see on the console are important. I think that 6-month IBM disk developing
> bad sectors is highly improbable. Also, if you played with hdparm maybe you
> enabled something that either your IDE controller or the disk itself cannot
> handle.
>
> Sorry I don't know how you can check for bad sectors, but I do think that
> your problem is elsewhere.

badblocks?

[16:17:28 /tmp]$ zcat /usr/share/man/man8/badblocks.8.gz | groff -t -e -mandoc
-Tascii | col -bx | head -20

BADBLOCKS(8)                                         BADBLOCKS(8)

NAME
       badblocks - search a device for bad blocks

SYNOPSIS
       badblocks [ -svwnf ] [ -b block-size ] [ -c blocks_at_once
       ] [ -i input_file ] [ -o output_file ] [ -p  num_passes  ]
       device [ blocks-count ] [ start-block ]

DESCRIPTION
       badblocks  is  used  to  search for bad blocks on a device
       (usually a disk partition).  device is  the  special  file
       corresponding to the device (e.g /dev/hdc1).  blocks-count
       is the number of blocks on the device; if it is not speci-
       fied, the size of the device is used as a default.  start-
[16:17:37 /tmp]$

> Haim.

        Shaul Karl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>