>> Daniel Feiglin wrote:
>>
>>> I looked at anthing even faintly resemmbling a log file unde
>>> /var/log. It there somewhere else?
>>

>> Check also  ~/.xsession-errors? That's where KDE and everything else
>> under XFree86 write debugging info and errors.
>

> Izat so? Under SuSE 7.3 there aint no such thing. Do you need to set
> something or other in startx or .xinitrc to make it happen? (I'm
> concurrently doing some RTFM on this, but there is a **lot** of FR to R.)
>
> DAF

In my RH 7.2, the X error logging mechanism is implemented through xdm
(gdm, kdm).

 From /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions/Xsession:

# redirect errors to a file in user's home directory if we can
for errfile in "$HOME/.xsession-errors" "${TMPDIR-/tmp}/xses-$USER"
"/tmp/xses-$USER"
do
    if ( cp /dev/null "$errfile" 2> /dev/null )
    then
        chmod 600 "$errfile"
        exec > "$errfile" 2>&1
        break