On Fri, 31 May 2002, Eliran wrote:

> Well, here is another response of Richard M. Stallman the FSF founder.
>
> Now he condemns the UnitedLinux (Suse, Turbo Linux, Mandrake and others
> joined forces).

Let's get some facts straight first:

SuSE, TurboLinux, Caldera and Conectiva (not Mandrake) recently annonced
UnitedLinux:

  http://unitedlinux.com

There are still many unclear things about this new "distribution".

>From what I understand this is going to be a "core" of a distribution,
rather than a complete distribution. Each of the four companies will
"add value" to its version and market it seperately.

Currently Caldera licenses its OpenLinux distribution in a per-seat
license, and there were some hints that this would be the chosen (or
preffered?) license for the new "distribution". This got RMS very upset,
and hence his remarks.

RMS here is in his usual role of a watchdog. It is possible that he is
barking too soon, though.

--
Tzafrir Cohen
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]