Moshe Zadka wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Jun 2002, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>Is there a reliable utility out there to convert from Fat32 to Ext3fs?
>

> If you've got some unrelated backup medium
>
> tar
> mkfs
> untar

But Caveat Emptor! I followed the relevant Howto on that, (after backing up of
course) and only managed to produce an ext2 filesystem with an un-removable
journal file its root. That is, the filesystem could not be mounted as ext3.
Further, I was by no means the only one to experience that problem.

Current wisdom at the time said to use the distro's setup utility (SuSE 7.3) as
if you were building a new system, create the ext3 filesystem, stop the setup
and restore you data to it. That worked and left no pesky .journal file hanging
around.

I haven't quite figured out what magic SuSE used, but I'd sure like to know. The
same trick may work for other distros.

Apart from that bit of nastiness, it was well worth the effort.

Regards,

DAF