On Tue, Jul 16, 2002, Muli Ben-Yehuda wrote about "Re: device files implementing mmap":
> It's not if you use the double buffer, since you always get old but
> correct data. If you use a single buffer, you might get garbage
> (you're reading a chunk, and as you read it, it gets overwritten by
> the kernel).

I suggested a way to solve this: your driver will refuse to overwrite the
last returned chunk (it knows what it returned last!) and start dropping
new data (it's a bit harder to drop old data in this scenario, but probably
doable with a bit of cleverness) when the beginning of that chunk is reached
again.

But as you said, I doubt the zero-copy is very important (performance-wise)
in this case anyway, so you might just want to stay with your existing
read() interface. Remember that each small junk of your log results from
a relatively slow "syscall tracking", so I doubt the copying of that data
will have a huge impact on the machine's performance.

--
Nadav Har'El                        |          Tuesday, Jul 16 2002, 7 Av 5762
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |Hi! I'm a signature virus! Copy me into