On Sun, Sep 01, 2002, Oleg Goldshmidt wrote about "Re: [OT] Looking for jobs":
> Ely Levy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > I find it very impolite to have this kind of e-mail sent
> > a public mailing list.
>
> While I agree in principle, it may be out of control of the sender...

I hear this from many people, but I still think this is horseshit. If you
don't know what horseshit means, read the definition in http://mslinux.org :)
(Sorry Oleg, I don't mean to offend you, just trying to be funny ;) ).

What if your email system at work added a 100k advertisement for your
company, or worse, a juicy collection of 4-letter words to each of your
emails? Would you still use that system to send out emails to your friends
or to mailing lists? No. You'll either tell your employers to change their
offensive system, or if you can't you'll get a different email account, from
a yahoo.com, from and ISP, or whatever, and use that to mail to people outside
your company.

Similarly, the legal signature (which I doubt, by the way, is attached
automatically - in most companies I know they require it, but it's not
centrally enforced) is offensive in mailing lists.

It is offensive for the same reason spam is: spammers try to shift their
advertising costs onto you, and legal-sigature-putters try to shift their
legal burdens onto you. Instead of making sure *they* don't accidentally
send confidential information to the wrong people, they stick a huge
warning/threat on each and every one of their emails, so every one of their
readers will need to verify that they are not reading the wrong email, list
owners need to verify that the wrong email wasn't sent to the list, archive
owners must verify that the wrong email didn't end up in an archive, and
so on.

Most people, lists, and archives will do this for you out of the kindness
of their own heart (go and remove a serious accident from the archive,
I mean), so adding a legal threat is not only useless and counterproductive,
it's plainly offensive.

In my opinion, at least.

And don't tell me that signature has no legal effect. It might not, I don't
know, but then again, if it doesn't have any effect, why do people and/or
system administrators insist to keep it, even when told it is offensive to
some people?

--
Nadav Har'El                        |         Sunday, Sep 1 2002, 25 Elul 5762
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |This box was intentionally left blank.