On Mon, Sep 23, 2002, Orna Agmon wrote about "Re: Women and Linux":
> Another imporant aspect is the pass making. Taking the woman who is
> interested in Linux first as a woman, and only later as a linux person.

Why would you want to be treated as a "linux person" before of "a woman"?
This completely contradicts the "IGLU meetings should be more friendly"
idea. "Friendly" means taking you as a person (man or woman) first and
as a walking-talking-Linux-manual only second.

> The first time I went to Haifux,
> the only person who talked to me was trying to hit on me. The

Doesn't that happen to you in other places where men and women meet??
Will you stop going to the supermarket because loudmouth macho-types
try to hit on you by the vegetable stands?

If not coming from an obnoxious person, then you should take the advance
in the friendly manner it was offered, and decline. If the advance was
obnoxious, rude or harassing, then feel free reprimand the guy sternly.

I don't think that being afraid of being hit on (to the point that another
girl mentioned her BOYFRIEND in capital letters in a previous post) should
be part of you girls' "Linux experience". Being hit on happens everywhere,
and it is not always unwelcome; You, of all people, shouldn't outlaw it
altogether, seeing where you met your own boyfriend :)
And you know what, you girls can feel free to "hit on" us guys (and me in
particular :)) once in a while, whether it is in a Linux meetings or any other
mixed-gender crowd.

> "So what are *you* doing here?"
>
> To me it sounds like one of the two: either as "who are you with?", or as
> "do you mean you actually know what linux is?". I don't know which one I
> prefer less.

Orna, tell the truth, couldn't this have been an honest mistake?
People already knew you as the wife of a well-respected Linux hacker before
you got involved in Linux... It doesn't mean you cannot be interested in
Linux yourself, but at least let people act somewhat surprised at first.

> On the IRC, every now and then a new person joins #iglu on EFNET,
> notices the nick of "ladypine", and says something like "wow, there are
> linux chicks here!". Then he begins to question about my age and
> location (aka ASL).

Last time I used IRC was about 5 years ago (I make it a point to log on to
IRC about once every 5 years, to see if anything changed :)). I logged on
to some channel (I don't remember which, but it certainly wasn't a sex-
specific one) admitting to being a male (I think I even used my real name),
and not long afterwards, some (supposedly) girl approached me and started
asking rude, personal and sexually-explicit questions; I refused to answer
her rude questions, and she continued to harass me until I logged off.

The point is that there are rude and disgusting people in both genders, and
if you let that bother you too much to the point that you stop doing
activities you like, you'll miss many opportunities. Obviously this lesson
isn't specific to Linux.

--
Nadav Har'El                        |      Monday, Sep 23 2002, 18 Tishri 5763
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |Long periods of drought are always