On Sun, Oct 13, 2002, Yotam Rubin wrote about "Re: looking for Linux / Apache / Perl /
C / C++/ JSP / SQL experts for a US based Start-Up...any candidates ?":
> sending job offers to a technology oriented crowd:
>
>  1) Please specify a full name in the From: header. People find it dubious
>     when a potential employer identifies himself only using his first name.
>  2) Trim down the subject. You don't need to specify the job requirements
>     in the header; a subject saying "Job Offer" should be good enough.
>  3) Don't phrase the job requirements like cheesy spam. Indicating what
>     is required from the prospective employee in the form of questions
>     sounds foreboding and somewhat ridiculous.
>  4) Make sure your website is not cluttered with buzzwords and lacking in
>     content. Reading the description of your product, I was only able to
>     get a very vague idea as to the purpose of your work.

Some additions to your guidelines:

1. It should be clearly specified where the candidate will need to work,
   and/or whether working from home will be acceptable.
   In particular, job offers in New York City are only relevant here
   (linux-*IL*) if the candidate can work from Israel, or if you have some
   generous relocation program and can get US work visas for Israelis and/or
   their spouses.

2. If your job offer clearly says that you cannot offer money at this stage,
   you better try to convince good candidates to contact you by saying more
   about what you do and why you're cool. If I had a share of every company
   that ever approached me with a "work for us for free now, and in a year
   you'll be a millionaire", I would have a ton of papers and be pennyless.

--
Nadav Har'El                        |      Sunday, Oct 13 2002, 7 Heshvan 5763
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |If you lost your left arm, your right arm