On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 10:51:49PM +0200, Oleg Goldshmidt wrote:

> Trying to ssh from RH7.3 to a RH7.2 machine (with all the
> errata/updates) *sometimes* (not all the time) I see the connection
> hang for a long time before I get a password prompt. More
> specifically (trillian is a RH7.2 machine, the client is a RH7.3
> machine, with a LAN, actually a crossed ethernet cable, between them),
>
> $ ssh -v -v oleg@trillian
> OpenSSH_3.1p1, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090602f
> debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config
> debug1: Applying options for *
> debug1: Rhosts Authentication disabled, originating port will not be trusted.
> debug1: restore_uid
> debug1: ssh_connect: getuid 500 geteuid 0 anon 1
>
>    Here the connection hangs, sometimes for minutes (though not
> always).

DNS lookup? is your system set to look through /etc/hosts first, DNS
server later? the "sometime" you mention could be the timeout until
the DNS server does not respond and the query is done through
/etc/hosts.
--
Muli Ben-Yehuda

Muli's corrolary to Godwin's law: Any discussion of anything is over when
shlomif mentions freecell solver.