On Mon, Feb 17, 2003, Tzafrir Cohen wrote about "Re: Unable to get soundcard working":
> no. /etc/modules . Something simple I can't find in redhat and Mandrake,
> for some reason: a list of modules loaded at startup . Not difficult to
> create, but why do it yourself?
>
> Don't confuse this with /etc/modules.conf which is the config file of
> insmod and modprobe

Actually, /etc/modules.conf is typically use to load your sound-card module,
but in a round-about way: using aliases to char-major-*.

For example, /dev/dsp is a character-special device with major number 14.
So I have in /etc/modules.conf something like

alias char-major-14 soundcore

This means the soundcard module will only get loaded the first time it is
needed.

This soundcore stuff is for ALSA; Try redhat-config-soundcard for something
that will hopefully work for your card.

In modules.conf you can also specify options to modules, specify programs
to run when the module is loaded/unload (e.g., I use it to save the volume
setting across module reload and even reboots).

--
Nadav Har'El                        |      Monday, Feb 17 2003, 15 Adar I 5763
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |When you handle yourself, use your head;