On Mon, Feb 17, 2003, Muli Ben-Yehuda wrote about "Re: Guessing filesystem while
unmounted":
> You can do it the same way the kernel does it in the early boot stages
> - by getting the information from lilo, via the boot record. You'll
> need to read and parse the boot record, though. Mounting each file
> system and checking may very well be easiser...

If this is supposed to be a "hack" and not something that must generally
work, you can try "fdisk -l" and look for bootable Linux partitions.
In many installations the root partition will be exactly of this type.
On other installations, though, you might catch a special "/boot"
partition, not the "/" partition, or none at all (lilo doesn't strictly
need the partition to be bootable).

Note, by the way, that newer distributions (such as Redhat 8) use Grub,
not LILO, so anything relying on the structure of a lilo boot record
isn't foolproof either.

--
Nadav Har'El                        |      Monday, Feb 17 2003, 15 Adar I 5763
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |The world is coming to an end ... SAVE