On Mon, Mar 03, 2003, Beni Cherniavsky wrote about "Re: [Which list?] Unicode, bidi,
terminals and tables":
> > I think what I had in mind was Acon, or Akka (the latter is a rewrite and
> > supposedly improvement of the former). Check out arabeyes.org for more
> > information.
> >
> Great, didn't know such a thing already exists!  That should allow
> bidi in the console.  Will grab it as soon as I recover my HD :-).

Another thing you might want to look at is luit (see
http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~jch/software/luit/, and it also comes by
default in Redhat 8).
Luit does not currently implement bidi (the guy who wrote this discusses
the reason in the aforementioned page) - but you might be interested to look
at its code, if you plan to write such a filter yourself.

--
Nadav Har'El                        |       Monday, Mar 3 2003, 29 Adar I 5763
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |In God we Trust -- all others must submit