On Tue, Mar 11, 2003, Shachar Shemesh wrote about "Re: Insta Party!":
> Oron Peled wrote:
>
> >It is extremly important, especially with respect to security
> >updates. We don't want to create extra 100 vulnerable sendmails
> >out in the wild now, do we?
> >
> No reason to have a listening sendmail on the installed machines. We
> install machines that have 0 (zero, nada, zilch, gurnisht, mafish)
> listening services, and the chances of exploitation drop tremendiously.

Indeed, Redhat starting from version 7.1 (if I remember correctly), have
a quite "safe" installation by default, including a sendmail only listening
on localhost and other crap (telnet, ftp, etc.) disabled by default.

But users, especially newbies, might be tempted to turn these on (wow, I
can have a ftp server, web server and mail server on my system connected
through a modem? cool!), so they better not have holes...

> AFAIR licq had vulnerabilities as well, so this does not eliminate the
> risks totally, but it greatly reduces them.

Yes, there were a number of holes in client programs (even in stuff like
the "file" command...), libraries (openssl), and so on.

By the way, I wonder if it's possible to instead of creating an update CD,
simply replace the updated RPMs on the original Redhat installation CDs...

--
Nadav Har'El                        |     Tuesday, Mar 11 2003, 7 Adar II 5763
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |"Mommy! The garbage man is here!" "Well,