On Tue, Mar 11, 2003, Muli Ben-Yehuda wrote about "Re: Announce: Hspell 0.4":
> On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 08:58:19PM +0200, Dan Kenigsberg wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 12:15:04PM +0200, Matan Ninio wrote:
> > > I'm very happy to here this.  I would be even happier if I would
> > > understand what I need to do to get this to work with my bidi-emacs.
> > > Have you looked into the possibility of interfacing with emacs ispell
> > > like?  being the center of the computational creation, the One True
> > > Editor is an excellent platform to attach to, if you want to make this
> > > speller useful.
> > >                 Matan
> >
> > The glove is thrown down. Who will dare to pick it up?
>
> I'd be willing to look into it, time permitting. Matan, a pointer to
> the bidi-emacs sources? or are you referring to plain MULE?

I doubt the spell-checking elisp package has anything to do with whether
that Emacs supports bidi or not, so I suggest you start with any-old-Emacs-
that you already have installed.

I tried myself to make hspell work with ordinary Emacs (XEmacs is my favorite
variant, actually), because I promised Richard Stallman I'd do that, but I
couldn't get it to work; "ispell.il" runs "ispell -a" to do the actual spell-
checking, and it can be easily pursuaded to run "hspell -a" instead. However,
there was something in hspell's replies that it didn't like, which is quite
understandable, because hspell -a's output doesn't exactly conform with what
it should have been (it's the minimum needed to get LyX to work with it).

So supporting hspell in Emacs would probably entail finding what bothers
Emacs in hspell's output, and fixing it in hspell (the latter is probably
simple, as hspell.pl is a relatively simple perl script).

Muli, if you try doing this and run into any problems, feel free to ask me
or Dan for help.

--
Nadav Har'El                        |     Tuesday, Mar 11 2003, 7 Adar II 5763
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |Strike not only while the iron is hot,