On Mon, Mar 17, 2003, Boris Sukholitko wrote about "Re: Somebody mickeyed with my
mouse?!":
> On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 05:42:06PM +0200, Nadav Har'El wrote:
> > The mouse works well, but the wheel is ignored. This makes sense, as the
> > protocol should be "IMPS/2", not "PS/2". But when I change it to IMPS/2 and
> > restart X (or even reboot), my mouse goes berserk, and randomly moves about,
> > tending to stick to the lower-left corner and moving at terrific speeds, but
> > only when it feels like it.
>
> I've had the same problem in my Debian box a couple of days
> before. There obviously was some kind of conflict with gpm.
> I've solved it by brutally removing gpm package from my
> system.

For me, disabling gpm (I did "chkconfig --del gpm" and killed gpm, not removed
the RPM, but this should not make any difference) did not help. Following the
advice of some people, I even powered off the machine, took out the plug,
waited and then plugged it back in - because perhaps my mouse has the memory
of an elephant and remembers for some reason it should be a PS/2.

But none of that helped. My mouse still refuses to work correctly when the
X configuration contains IMPS/2. I also checked with "od /dev/mouse" that
no mouse events are generated when I move the mouse wheel - so apparently
my mouse is indeed in some PS/2 mode... Is there a utility, ioctl, or something
to change the mode of the mouse? Could it be that the BIOS is forcing my
mouse to be PS/2? I looked in the BIOS's setup menus, but couldn't find
anything about that...

Well, I guess I need to relearn to use the scroll bar... :)

--
Nadav Har'El                        |    Tuesday, Mar 18 2003, 14 Adar II 5763
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |Hardware, n.: The parts of a computer