On Fri, Mar 21, 2003, Tzafrir Cohen wrote about "Re: XFree86 4.3 and keyboard groups":
> > after upgrading to XFree86 4.3, I can no longer switch between the groups in
> > my keyboard layout, which means that while I'm using the israeli layout I can
> You need to replace "il" with "us,il" (or "il,us" if that's what you
> really want) in /etc/X11/Xkbmap , ~/.Xkbmap , /etc/X11/Xf86Config-4 or
> whatever .

Too bad XFree86 are doing these backward-incompatible changes...

I also fail to see the reasoning behind this change. Any Israeli keyboard
has both Hebrew and Latin (ASCII) characters on it - there's nothing "US"
(American) about this keyboard, except the fact that ASCII was indeed
invented in America... All Hebrew keyboards I ever saw in Israel where in
this so-called "us,il" configuration.

I think that the new, latin-character-less, keyboard, should probably be
renamed to "he", or at least "he-il", because the name "il" doesn't seem
appropriate for it any more.

Oh, well... I pitty all the newbies that will have to tackle this problem
when upgrading their Hebrew-supporting Linux system. I hope that at least
KDE and Gnome will know to set this up correctly when told that the person
has an "Israeli" keyboard.

--
Nadav Har'El                        |   Thursday, Mar 20 2003, 16 Adar II 5763
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |Why do doctors call what they do