On Fri, Jun 06, 2003, Herouth Maoz wrote about "Re: C flame (was: FS/OS in schools)":
> Quoting Nadav Har'El <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> > Let's face it, when you teach someone to drive its enough to teach them
> > to use the pedals and the steering-wheel. But when you teach someone to
> > become a mechanic, you have no option but showing them what the engine
> > looks like by opening the hood, even if it's an ugly, greasy, mess.
>
> But you don't teach somebody to be a mechanic before he has learned what a car
> is. I don't think there are many car repairsmen who do not have a drivers'
> license, or at least a scooter license...

To continue this silly metaphore, *driving* a car corresponds to using
a computer for stuff needed for daily life, say, playing or writing papers
for school. For that you needn't learn any programming at all.
And indeed, like you said, most people *use* a computer before they start
learning to program on it.

But if you do want to learn how to fix your own car (or to program your
own computer) I argued that you better understand the nuts and bolts
before you understand the fancy new fuel-injection system ;)

--
Nadav Har'El                        |       Saturday, Jun 7 2003, 8 Sivan 5763
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |If God is watching us, the least we can