On Fri, Jun 13, 2003, Nadav Har'El wrote about "Re: Testing on various computers
needed":
> On Fri, Jun 13, 2003, Ilya Konstantinov wrote about "Re: Testing on various
> computers needed":
> > How come real ("wall clock") time is so much higher than user+sys combined?
>
> This is simple - the disk can't write as fast as the CPU reads from /dev/zero
> (i.e., generates a stream of zeros). So half the time, the CPU just waits
> for the disk to finish to read. (remember, write buffers, however big they
> are allowed to grow, still have a limited finite size).

Oops, I meant, of course, "finish to write", not read.

--
Nadav Har'El                        |       Friday, Jun 13 2003, 13 Sivan 5763
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |If you drink, don't park; Accidents cause