Eli Billauer wrote:
Gilboa Davara wrote:

Here's a couple.

A. Development tools and workplaces:
Low adaptation gives MS power to dictate *bad* (non)standards. MS-Word
is not the real problem here; MFC, DirectX, Visual Basic, C#, etc are!
As developers we are forced to use non standard closed tools and
libraries that can be changed without notice by Microsoft.

<snip>

Agree, but not really relevant, is it? Developers are a small community, which should indeed be exposed to Linux. As an Elec. Eng. I see several tools running on Windows which were obviously developed under some UNIX system.

But the developers don't call the shots. Their managers do. You want Free development tools? good, we need to get to the managers and this goes through the public.

B. Non standard shared Web-sites: At least half of the sites in Israel don't work right under Mozilla. (ynet, walla, etc) Why? cause they are using non-standard IE-only extensions. Christ, even the Linux forum in ynet cannot be read using Mozilla... I talked to the forum admin and nada... zilch.

You have a point there. This could be solved with Internet Explorer under wine, though, as Shachar demonstrated partially at Haifux yesterday. Yes, I would be happier too if it was all Mozilla, but if the Explorer was available for Linux (ran as nobody, jailed with chroot ;), would we care so much?

I would, because it isn't Free Software (or Open Sourced one) and so should you - because you can't fix bugs in IE, because you can't give IE to your friends legally (for those not following the news - future versions of IE will no longer be free-as-in-beer downloads but parts of the OS, updated via OS service packs with all that entails), because MS will continue to embrrace and distort web standarts until they will not be standarts and use this power to make *Apache* a non viable option. In short - because it wont stop with this one single app.

And a personal one:
D. Games!!! God dangit! I want to play HL2 under Linux!

Have you tried Wine?

Have you tried Freedom? :-) Gilad