> 1. Do you get a valid responce when do:
> nmblookup <win2000host>

[EMAIL PROTECTED] arikb]$ nmblookup -A arikb.vidius.co.il
Looking up status of 10.0.3.2
        ARIKB           <00> -         M <ACTIVE>
        VIDIUS-IL       <00> - <GROUP> M <ACTIVE>
        ARIKB           <03> -         M <ACTIVE>
        ARIKB$          <03> -         M <ACTIVE>
        ARIKB           <20> -         M <ACTIVE>
        VIDIUS-IL       <1e> - <GROUP> M <ACTIVE>
        INet~Services   <1c> - <GROUP> M <ACTIVE>
        IS~ARIKB        <00> -         M <ACTIVE>

> 2. Do you use WINS (Samba pre 3.0 is closer in nature to
> Windows NT then
> to Windows 2000, and will use WINS), and who is the WINS server?

I use both WINS and DNS, both are updated correctly and give the same result (my WINS
server is 10.0.0.32):

[EMAIL PROTECTED] arikb]$ nmblookup -A arikb -U 10.0.0.32
Looking up status of 10.0.3.2
        ARIKB           <00> -         M <ACTIVE>
        VIDIUS-IL       <00> - <GROUP> M <ACTIVE>        ARIKB           <03> -
 M <ACTIVE>
        ARIKB$          <03> -         M <ACTIVE>
        ARIKB           <20> -         M <ACTIVE>
        VIDIUS-IL       <1e> - <GROUP> M <ACTIVE>
        INet~Services   <1c> - <GROUP> M <ACTIVE>
        IS~ARIKB        <00> -         M <ACTIVE>

> Also check the following:
>
> 1. Has the share (mount) been unused for over a week? (Windows cycles
> host credentials once a week)

It's been mounted for over a week, but used during this period. How come my Win2K can
maintain a share window open for this amount of time but SAMBA can't? And if the
credentials are incorrect, why can't I unmount?

> 2. Has the user information under which the mount taken place changed?

Now that you've mentioned it, I recently replaced my password (in Active Direcory). I
will test it again, because I am pretty sure that I have had that happen even between
password changes (our policy is 45 days).

And then again: So the credentials don't match; so what? Why prevent me from
unmounting it? Can I change the credentials in smbmount while the folder is mounted?

Thanks for the info and for your help.

-- Arik
This email and attachments have been scanned for
potential proprietary or sensitive information leakage.

PortAuthority(TM)  Server
Keeping Information Inside
Vidius, Inc.
www.vidius.com