On Mon, Nov 10, 2003, Amichai Rotman wrote about "Host (re)name?":
> Hi All,
>
> The DHCP client I am running for the Cable Internet connection took over my
> host name.
>
> I tried changing it, no luck.

To change your kernel's view of the hostname (what 'hostname' or 'uname -n'
return), run "hostname thecorrectname". However, this doesn't survive a
reboot. During boot, Redhat (for example) set the hostname from
/etc/sysconfig/network (if I remember correctly). In your distribution,
it might be getting it from another file.

So if your host name is reverting to the wrong value only after a reboot,
you probably didn't change that file.

> Keeps renaming it back to the DHCP client's name (dhcp-xxxx-xx).

Maybe your dhcp client keeps making this change for you. Which client
are you using? Did you try reading its manual to see if you can disable
this?

> How can I change it back to my favorite host name?

See above.

--
Nadav Har'El                        |     Monday, Nov 10 2003, 15 Heshvan 5764
Phone: +972-53-790466, ICQ 13349191 |Two wrongs may not may a right, but three