Oded Arbel wrote:
On Monday 10 November 2003 13:15, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Isn't there a "black-list" at Mozilla.org.il ?
i mean: http://www.mozilla.org.il/evangel.shtml

Yes, and its a very good list, unfortunatly it only checks for Mozilla compliance. I would really like a list that also checks for other non-gecko based browsers, for example - konqueror & Opera.

Opera? This brings up the "Anti-MS" question. Is the issue FOSS, Open Standards, or "The Other Browsers" (and what about IE in WINE?).

The validator is one (and probably the first) of the test for a site.
The next tests depend on what what is the goal:
1. Linux based broswers? Including lynx?
2. Non-free extentions (debian talk) such as flash?
3. Free browsers? Excluding Opera?
4. What about squid? Some sites will not work even with IE when behind squid.

My feeling is that what we do want is simply to stop hearing the "We only do IE" answer. This is actually not a technical issue, but rather a consumer issue. www.cnn.com and www.microsoft.com render nicely in mozilla, both in windows and linux, and they are shinny and glitzy as you can get. Why is that? They want the bussiness, and if I, John D. Consumer, cannot see their page, I will look elsewhere.

If we can agree on what the goals of the survey are, we can then target the sites:
1. Government and public services - easy enough; those have to be cross platform and should not include items that forces the public to spend money on buggy software.
2. Service provides (banks, shops etc) - get the demographics. Even assuming 90% of the population uses IE, what is the demographics of the last 10%. Maariv and Yediot have higher circulation then HaArt'z, but guess when Volvo puts it's full page ads?
3. Advertisers - even more so. If I can't see your ad, you lose twice. I don't see the product, and I will not use you for advertising my products/service.

Speaking of W3 validator - click the "W3C valid HTML" icon in this page and see what happens. it only underlines my point that its not feasable to have all web pages (even at a single site) to be at any given time 100% valid.

Quite the opposite. This is exactly the type of error the webmaster should correct.