On Sun, Dec 14, 2003, Muli Ben-Yehuda wrote about "Re: Ynet: MoF considers using Linux
(probably Mandrake) for desktops":
> On Sun, Dec 14, 2003 at 09:54:21AM +0200, Herouth Maoz wrote:
> > Quoting Shachar Shemesh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >
> > > My guess (pure
> > > guesswork) is that IBM is the one offering the actual migration.
> >
> > Isn't IBM's preferred distro SuSE? The article at least talks about
> > Mandrake.
>
> SuSE and RedHat, according to what I know. However, I imagine that a
> sufficiently large customer will get whatever their heart desire. Even
> gentoo (cheap shot, sorry ;-))

Continuing the parade of people not-speaking-for-IBM:

IBM is a (very) big company, and it is not always clear that all its
business units have the same preferences when it comes to Linux distributions.
This might even make good sense - the distribution-of-choice when it comes to
developer's workstations might not be the same as the distribution-of-choice
when it comes to server installations.
Even more so when it comes to Hebrew support (which is the issue discussed
here) - if Mandrake has better Hebrew support (does it?) IBM might try to
"sell" it to Israeli clients, despites Mandrake not being their favorite
distribution in otheer areas.

As most of you know, all modern Linux distributions basically include the
same software packages (with small variations), so the choice is many times
based on advantages in specific areas (e.g., which distribution has better
out-of-the-box Hebrew support?) or on previous investment (has IBM already
spent millions on tweaking Redhat, Suse, or whatever to their specific needs
and don't want to repeat that on another distribution)? Also, keep in mind
that the situation with Redhat isn't very clear now. Fedora is a good start,
but being a seperate organization from Redhat, people will need to see several
released made before they trust it (as in "we can assume there will be new
releases every 6 months, and base our buisness plan on this assumption)
as much as they did Red Hat Linux.

--
Nadav Har'El                        |      Sunday, Dec 14 2003, 19 Kislev 5764
Phone: +972-53-790466, ICQ 13349191 |Hindsight is always 20:20