Hi,

I am trying to build a media center linux box which will connect to my TV. The hardware I have: Epix Eden based mini itx board and box with 256MB ram and 40 GB disk. I want to be able to record TV shows, play DVD/VCD as well as transfer old home movies and create DVD/VCD so all my friends and relations abroad can enjoy...
I have goggled on this issue

My question:
1. TV input and video capture. Most web documents seems to suggest that the Hauppauge WinTV is the most popular capture and recording device. Has anyone any experience with those devices in Israel (Air, Cable or satellite).

2. What packages and / or distribution would you think would be applicable? I would rather use a general purpose distribution (Debian, would be my default selection).

Thanks

Gil