On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 12:24:15PM -0400, William Sherwin wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > Actually my letter concerns another of your questions : about
> > the function of alt-D etc in the xterm, but I cannot find your
> > initial letter.
> > I had this problem some time ago, and as X is built of so many
> > layers and I did not know where to look for the culprit, I
> > resorted to comparing all the configuration files between the
> > new distribution (in which I met the problem) and the old one.
> > To my surprize the relevant difference was in the line: Option
> > XKbModel in the XF86Config file. This was pc101 in the old
> > file and pc104 in the new one.
> > Changing pc104 to pc101 solved the problem.
>
> Actually, I have no problems with CTRL-D (exit/logout); I have needed to use
> CTRL-H instead of backspace in vim (but not in the command-line itself), both
> running it in xterm and in the tty.  The keyboard section of my XF86Config file
> looks like this:

I don't think this is relevnt to the Backspace Delete issue. See also
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/BackspaceDelete/

> Section "InputDevice"
>   Identifier      "Keyboard0"
>   Driver          "kbd"
>   Option          "XkbModel" "acpi"
>   Option          "XkbLayout" "en_US,il_si1452"
>   Option          "XkbOptions" "grp:switch,grp:alt_shift_toggle,grp_led:scroll"
> EndSection

What is the layout il_si1452 ? Did you write that file yourself? I
believe you should use:

   Option          "XkbLayout" "en_US,il"
   Option          "XkbVariant" ",si1452"

> Two other questions: does anyone know how to use the il_si1452 keyboard layout
> in xterm/tty, and; what about the missing kuf from the xterm/tty Hebrew font
> package?  I've seen people ask about this one before: instead of a kuf, I see a
> blank space.  Any ideas?

See above. You also need to use some mapping for third shift level, as
the Nikud is in the third shift level for that layout.

Anyway, this affects X but *not* the linux console.

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]       +---------------------------+