On Friday, Oct 22, 2004, at 02:57 Asia/Jerusalem, Ilya Konstantinov wrote:

Then again, you should have a route to whatever address thru the cable company's default gateway. Do you have a default route configured for the Ethernet interface (should be configured as part of the DHCP discovery)? Or did you create a static route to your ISP's PPTP > server?

Well, the initial routing is done in the NIC's initialization, and then Actcom's dialer script adds 192.117.122.13 (actcom's router) through the gateway it extracts from the DHCP lease, deletes the default route and lets pptp add a default route.

I think the upshot of all this is that there is a route to the addresses that I get in the log, but that route is through ppp0, not eth1, and the kernel complains because they send their broadcasts directly through eth1.

What you are saying is basically that I should just ignore these messages. This is annoying, though, because if someone attempts to spoof an address (which is what the martian messages are meant to reveal), I'll never be able to see the attempt through all the background noise.

Herouth