Well...

Ira Abramov wrote:

howdie folks, me again...

I have a new server to install here, it's a modern board with an adaptec
sata RAID that is not seen by a vanilla Debian kernel. I decided to
stick to stock kernels to simplify administration and therefore disabled
the RAID, got the two disks to show as SATA again (hde and hdg) and went
on to partition them for my needs.

I was told the 2.6 kernels support partitioning an MD device but
this does not seem to work right in the debian-installer, so I'm
building two partitions for each final partition, making individual
MD-devices and all. this DOES free me from pre-defining the entire space
as raid1. I can have swap partitions without RAID and the backup
directory as RAID0 instead of RAID1 for instance.

questions -
1. Is that the best methodology to follow? any other recommendations?

I would have recommended using raid0, but once upon a time, when a disk crushed, and I lost 80 gigs of data (these were the days when 40 gigs were large disks), I saw, or better - felt the negative results.

With modern disks, throughput of above 40 MB/s, using raid0 sounds bad. If you want to enjoy the whole space, maybe using it under LVM, in contecant (if I spell it correctly. Can't say the word), where a loss of one disk means lots of lost data, but not _all_ of it, might be better idea. Leave swap out of raids. You  will suffer too much overhead if/when putting it in.

2. Am I risking anything by installing reiser3 (kernel 2.6.8) on an

MD device?

Should be no reason.

your insights will be of great value!

Thanks,