This greatly depend on the type of software being used.
In general, x86-64 is faster in most applications due to the added GP (General purpose) registered available in 64bit mode.
However, 64bit applications tend to have bigger memory footprint; if your machine is low on RAM, 64bit may actually run slower...

As for WhiteBox/CentOS, I used them both on my x86-64 IBM Opterons and they worked just fine, greatly outperforming their 32bit variants.
However, as I said, YMMV.... (Your millage may vary...)

Gilboa

On Sun, 2005-02-06 at 11:53 +0200, Erez Doron wrote:
Gilboa Davara wrote:

> Both should work but you may have very limited compatibility problems
> with the x64-64 arch, as it was mostly tested on AMD Opterons.
> Furthermore, when going x86_64 you may have recompile the kernel
> in-order to gain (better) HT support.

Will there be performance differences between the two (i.e. i386 vs.
x86_64)?
what do you mean by 'very limited compatibility problems'

ps: I am thinking of using either white-box or CentOs