Quoting Alan Yaniger, from the post of Tue, 01 Mar:
> "Linux Administration - A Beginner's Guide" by Steven Graham and Steve
> Shah is aimed at "strong Windows users who know something about the
> Windows networking environment" (from their intro). My copy is the third
> edition, which is from 2003, so it's a little old. I'm not a system
> administrator, I got it to fill in gaps in my knowledge. I found it useful.

I learned all that I know with my own two fingers and ten eyes, so I'm
not really knowledgeable about which book is better, however from some
online searching I see most fingers (and Amazon reviews and sales rank)
pointing at Linux in a nutshell:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/linuxnut4/

Contents include:

* Programming, system administration, networking, and user commands
with complete lists of options

* GRUB, LILO, and Loadlin bootloaders

* Shell syntax and variables for the bash, csh, and tcsh shells

* Pattern matching

* Emacs, vi, and vim editing commands

* sed and gawk commands

* The GNOME and KDE desktops and the fvwm2 window manager

* Red Hat and Debian package managers

And if I'm not mistaken, an older edition of it was even translated to
Hebrew (heaven forbid).

What's more, I think there's an Israeli importer of O'Reiley that sells
books at discount to members of Hamakor. I can't remember the name at
the moment (they were the ones who gave away the prize books at AP3 if
memory serves).

I think I'll buy one even if to use as a loan copy to all the firends
I'm trying to convert :)

--
The greatest story ever told
Ira Abramov