Did the env vars below. Hebrew can be typed and viewed but, file names I share from MS XP machines are junkie.

Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 09:33:46PM +0200, David Harel wrote:

Hi all,

This issue re-accrues over and over again, I fix it (and forget about it) and the next time I fiddle with Linux (install Gentoo for example), I break it again. So how do I make xterm, konsole, konqueror and many other tools to show file names and other kind of information in Hebrew?

Make sure you work with a locale whose charset is UTF-8. The simplest
thing is just to set LANG=he_IL.UTF-8 or LANG=en_US.UTF-8 [*] .

It is also possible to set:

LANG=he_IL.UTF-8
LC_MESSAGES=C

to avoid programs from using Hebrew as their language.

This is normally set in /etc/environment or explicitly by the DM (gdm/kdm) when you login. Make sure also that such a locale exists. Though the DM
normally only knows how to set LANG and not something more complex.

[*] en_US.UTF-8 is generally a bad choice for locale definitions, as
they use a different date format, printer page size, mesurment units,
etc. en_GB.UTF-8 is closer to what we have

--
Thanks.

David Harel,

Home office +972 77 4422234