On 10/31/05, Aaron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> ok I just killed it.
>
> Ignoring the instructions I got from googling.
>
> how should I proceed now.

There are pretty clear instrcutions under
/usr/share/doc/kernel-package/README.gz,
read the entire document and decide which route you want to take BEFORE you
begin the process. I recommand also studying make-kpkg(1) so you get a better
understanding of the instructions in the README file.

Remember that as long as you don't "dpkg -i your-kernel-package.deb" no
irreversible harm should happen (and even when you DO install
your-kernel-package.deb, there are 99% chances that you won't loose the current
working kernel).

I use a script to wrap make-kpkg with my favourite command line parameters.

> what I did was copy the config from my running kernel and the remove a
> few obvious things and then

Note that if you just want to use an existing config then use "make oldconfig"
in stage "2%".

Always start the kernel-building process with "make clean".

> fakeroot make-kpkg --append-to-version -vanilla --revision 0.1
> kernel_image
>
> btw the kernel_image should that be there? is that supposed to be
> substitued for something else?

kernel_image should usually be there. Read make-kpkg(1).

> Tzafrir mentioned: make-kpkg --rootcmd fakeroot

I usually just su to root when I do these things, but it's just an
ancient habbit.

> Thanks

You are welcome.

> Aaron

--Amos

PS - I'm on the mailing list so no need to CC me separatly.