On 10/31/05, Aaron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-10-31 at 13:58 +1100, Amos Shapira wrote:
> > And you get "command not found" when doing "ls" with this path?
> > Is "ls" aliased to something?

You haven't answered this question.

> I didn't catch this the first time, but did a man reset and now I see
> what you mean :)

I might have bungled again in the way I phrased this - "reset" was just
an small example of something that many people just close a shell
where running the right command could let them keep it.

> > "experienced linux user" (or you might become "experienced linux installer"
> > :).
> the latter is still more the case although less and less.

Good on you.

> > > EXT2-fs warning: mounting unchecked fs, running e2fsck is recommended
> > > EXT2-fs warning: mounting unchecked fs, running e2fsck is recommended
> >
> > Have you crashed your system lately?
>
> it happens on occasion ie my ups broke and computers at home.

You have a UPS? Have you though of connecting its signal to your
computer so the system can shut down cleanly before the UPS runs
out of juice?

> > Have you executed fsck afterward?
>
> no I use ext3 file system and thought the journalling was enough (truth
> to tell I couldn't figure out how to run it under ext3)

e2fsck - from the manual: "e2fsck - check a Linux ext2/ext3 file system".

The kernel message clearly recommands running fsck.

> > Try taking the system down to single-user mode
>
> on redhat this was a simple matter I also keep forgetting how to go to
> single-user mode on debian.

"man init" will teach you (and between you and me - it's "init s").

> > Have you setup a firewall on your computer? Have you taken down all
> > unnecessary services (this is apparently unrelated to your problem but
> > still)?
> >
> no I haven't set up a firewall and I have unnecessary services
> <embarrassed sigh>
> I will remove the extra junk and setup a firewall....

Remember - you can install the most secure-*able* system in the world
but if you don't configure it properly it's still not secure.

--Amos