Michael Sternberg wrote:

We have to write driver that intercept all I/O to disk and notifies
user-mode application with following data: block length and device
number. What is a proper way to implement it: to write a block driver
above disk layer or to implement a file system filter ? If we'll
implement a file system filter could we miss some direct I/O to the disk
? What kind of I/O could we miss ?

There were propositions to use kprobe, systemtap and /proc/sys/vm/block_dump.. Unfortunately (as far as I know) those are features of 2.6.xx kernels. We have to write for RHEL 3 which uses 2.4.xx kernel :( and of course we're not allowed to apply our patches to kernel, have to use the RH standard one..